The agriculture industry has always been reliant on traditional methods to manage farm data, which can lead to inconsistencies and inefficiencies. Agtech experts say digital farming is necessary to mitigate risk, improve yield, and make data-driven decisions. This helps farmers and agribusinesses to reap the benefits of optimal sustainability and gradual profitability.
In a bid to improve farm operations, a leading multinational frozen food company in the French fries and specialty potatoes sector reached out to Cropin to help manage their farms more effectively, ensure that their farmers were following best practices and improve the overall efficiency of their operations.
Challenges faced by the client:
The company had farming operations in two major locations in India, Punjab, and Gujarat. They relied on manual records to manage farm data, creating inconsistencies that made it difficult to identify suitable plots for farming and maintain consistent records of operations. The company lacked real-time monitoring processes, which resulted in farmers not following time schedules or adhering to the package of practices (POPs), resulting in suboptimal crop yields, inefficient use of resources, and higher costs due to unnecessary expenditures.
How did we solve this:
Cropin Grow (SmartFarm+) & Plot-level Intelligence were deployed to address these challenges. Cropin Grow is an AI-enabled farm management and monitoring platform that maximizes per-acre value, improving farming operations' efficiency, predictability, and sustainability. Plot-level Intelligence is a crop and plot-level predictive intelligence powered by field-tested AI/ML models. It provides granular and actionable insights at a plot level to help improve farm operations & profitability using deep learning techniques.
Cropin helped the client by:
- Accurately measuring and auditing the actual plot area by geotagging all registered plots
- Generate yield estimation reports, providing valuable harvest and post-harvest planning insights
- Seamless and hassle-free onboarding of farmers onto the new system
- The weather advisory feature helped the client to plan their farm operations & avoid potential crop damage.
- Crop stage monitoring provided next-to-real-time data, ensuring complete traceability & transparency in farming.
- Farmer enablement in adopting a Package of Practices (PoP) gave them the knowledge and resources to optimize crop yields.
- The climate & disease alert module helped the client take timely action to control their impact on harvest quality and quantity, ensuring better outcomes for the client.
What did the client achieve?
After implementing our solutions, the client observed improved farm management levels. The results included complete digitization of farm operations, timely dehaulming of plots, geo-tagging and monitoring of all plots, a comprehensive set of Package of Practices (PoP) defined and scheduled, complete traceability across farm operations, and compliance with regulatory standards.
The use of technology to manage farm data can lead to significant improvements in farm operations. Cropin Grow provided the client with a complete farm management solution that enabled them to manage their farm data more effectively, ensure that their farmers followed best practices, and improve the overall efficiency of their operations. If you are facing similar challenges, digitizing your farm operations and adopting intelligent solutions can help you achieve the desired outcomes.
Access the full case study here.